RN to BSN Transfer Courses and Prerequisites
All students must meet certain general education requirements. In addition, prerequisites have been established by the College of Nursing. The following courses have been approved by the NC Community College Common Course Library and East Carolina University for transfer to ECU.
Please click here to download the list of approved courses.
RN to BSN Prerequisites
Prior to admission to the RN to BSN option, the following general education and cognate courses must be completed:
- English Composition (two semesters)
- College Algebra
- Chemistry - General, Organic, and Biochemistry (two semesters)
- Anatomy and Physiology (with labs)(two semesters)
- Microbiology (with lab)
- Physical Activity and Fitness
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introductory Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Introduction to Computer Literacy
- Statistics (Mathematics or Psychology)
- Social Science Elective: at least one course in Anthropology, Economics, Geography, History, or Political Science
- Humanities and Fine Arts Electives (ten semester hours and must include ethics): at least one course from the humanities area and one course from the fine arts area. Humanities include ethics, literature, philosophy, and religion. Fine arts courses include art, dance, music, speech and theater.
The prerequisite courses can be taken at ECU, a community college, or a regionally accredited college or university.
Generally, academic credits from other regionally accredited institutions are accepted by ECU if a grade of C or higher is earned. There is no time limit for acceptance of academic credits. Advanced placement, credit by examination, and the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) are other ways to meet these requirements. For North Carolina community college courses, please refer to the community college transfer course list to determine how/if a course may transfer and to identify specific courses (especially Humanities/Fine Arts courses).
The ECU College of Nursing offers assistance to prospective RN to BSN students by completing an unofficial review of a complete set of transcripts. For an unofficial transcript evaluation, please submit your transcript coversheet and transcripts via e-mail to RNBSN@ecu.edu.