The National League for Nursing Pre-Admission Examination (NLN PAX)
Students applying for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program are required to take the Pre-Admission Exam (NLN PAX) as part of their application to the program. Students achieving a composite score of 110 or higher and a score of 50 or higher for relative performance in each subtest area will be given preference when evaluating applicants for admission.
The NLN PAX exam is offered through the East Carolina University Testing Center. Students need to take the exam early to allow time for remediation and to retake the exam if necessary. Applicants are allowed to retake the exam as many times as there are versions of the test, but are required to wait 6 months between test dates. The exam must be taken prior to the BSN application deadline date.
The NLN PAX exam will be offered at ECU on the following dates:
April 19, 2014
May 17, 2014
June 14, 2014
July 12, 2014
August 16, 2014
September 20, 2014
October 4, 2014
October 18, 2014
November 15, 2014
January 10, 2015
February 28, 2015
March 21, 2015
April 11, 2015
May 9, 2015
June 20, 2015
Additional dates for 2015 will be posted on the College of Nursing website at a later date.
Applicants must register for the exam at least two weeks prior to the scheduled test date.
Information regarding the cost and procedure for scheduling an exam is on the NLN website: https://www.nlnonlinetesting.org/pax.
To register for the NLN PAX exam follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.nlnonlinetesting.org/pax and click on "Register Now".
- Enter a log in ID and password and click "Continue".
- Enter contact information and click "Continue". Note: There are additional pages of required information.
- Click "Create Account" once you have entered all required information.
- Choose "Registered Nurse (RN) program" after your page is redirected to the Registration Store and prompted to choose an exam. Select the State in which you are taking the exam and the Institution.
- Select the date you have chosen from the "Test date options", and click, "Register for paper-based exam".
- Pay for the exam. You will be prompted for information to pay for the exam.
If you have questions, please contact the NLN PAX Customer Service at 1-800-732-8656 or ECU College of Nursing Student Services at 252-744-6477.